Saturday, June 21, 2008

"sorry, honey...

but Santa isn't real."

I was in early elementary school when I found out this devastating truth. How old were you? How did you feel? Sad? Disappointed? Shocked? It's quite plausible that you felt all three of these emotions. But how come no one ever reports feeling angry? Shouldn't you be outraged at the hoax that you were subjected to? Aren't you angry that your parents (and the world) lied to you through their teeth for the first decade of your life?

I bet that's why people have so many trust issues and broken relationships. Because Santa's not real. And you betcha I'm angry about it.

4 comments:

jfei said...

haha. interesting analysis, ms. psych major. i dont remember caring at all, actually. i remember not believing in it... because i only heard about it in school, my parents didnt talk about santa, but i still got presents. so when i was like 7 or 8 i just went up to my mom and asked her, "santa's not real, is he?" and she was like,"ummmmmm... no. jason youre such a smartie!" so then i was like, "mmhmm, so can i open my presents earlier this year?" and she laughed, "haha, no."

Melody Lun said...

As unsettling as your analysis was, here's another tidbit to add to your bitterness. My parents didn't even bother to tell me about Santa. You know why? Because I didn't get presents for Christmas. What did I get? A lollipop. A giant lollipop that my brother brought back from his class party while I was held captive at home. An unwanted lollipop caste aside to me.

Hahaha, jk. I was too young to go to school. And I'm sure the non-Santa thing was just the Chinese way. I did get a ginormous lantern of a goldfish for Chinese New Year though. =)

Alfred said...

yeah sorry, i never believed in santa claus. my rather westernized aunt kept insisting that he was real up until i moved out of canada. this was probably to keep the christmas spirit alive. too bad my maturity killed my childhood happiness =(.

i recall she said, "well alfred, santa claus is real to me." i responded by laughing at her face because i was with her kids when they bought her presents. owned. i was 5, not stupid.

Karen said...

my mom told me santa claus was real. i never believed her. Why? Because I never had a chimney to begin with.