Monday, April 28, 2008

Marauding Monday.

Sometimes I read things on other people's websites or blogs that I really want to share. So, I think, on Mondays, I'll post material that is not my own, but borrowed.

ma·raud
v.
to roam or go around in quest of plunder.

For today, I bring to you a selection of various similes from high school students' essays:

  • She grew on him like she was a colony of E. Coli, and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.
  • The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.
  • Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.
  • John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.
  • The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.
And... my personal favorite:
  • He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

jfei said...

haha that made me LOL. the next great american essayists...

Melody Lun said...

What'd you go through my old essays for?

I am especially fond of the E. coli one.